Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of participating in an exchange program?
- Receive a kidney sooner, maybe before requiring dialysis
- Receive a living donor kidney, which on average lasts longer than a deceased donor kidney
- Receive a better matched kidney, which would potentially require fewer drugs and last longer
- Provides a very rewarding experience for the donor since multiple families are helped by the donation
Can I join the program even if I have a compatible donor?
- Yes, even if you have a compatible donor, you and your donor can join. In fact, the program may enable you to receive a kidney from a younger donor, or a better matched kidney.
- Some donors, especially those with O blood types, may want to participate because of the opportunity to help more than one recipient.
Can the exchange families meet?
- Once the transplant has taken place, if the other patients agree, you will have the opportunity to meet the other families involved in the exchange.
How do we get started?
- Interested donors may contact our program by telephone at
(310) 267-6907 or by completing a Living Donor Intake Form below and faxing it back to (310) 983-3628 for review by our Living Donor Team.
Donor Intake Spanish